This Le Creuset Black Pie Bird Funnel is the perfect item to use when baking a fruit or meat pie with a pastry lid. Simply place it in the center of the dish before covering the pie with the pastry lid, cutting a hole for the bird to poke through and securing the pastry around its shoulders. The top of the funnel pokes up through the pastry, supporting it and preventing it from dropping into the filling as it bakes. Also the pie bird funnel has openings at the base, so the pie juices can bubble freely and the center is hollow and vented through the beak allowing steam to escape and thus ensuring a dry crisp pastry and no leaks from the filling.
How to use?
1. Simply place the pie bird funnel in the center of the dish before covering the pie with the pastry lid.
2. Roll out the pastry lid, cut a small “X” shape at the center.
3. Lift the pastry lid into place, lining up the “X” cut with the birds head.
4. Gently press the cut edges at the center around the shoulders of the bird. The top of the funnel should poke up through the pastry.
5. Trim excess pastry from the pie edge and finish as required, or as the recipe suggests.